Sunday, February 17, 2008

story of stuff

Have you seen "Story of Stuff"?
The Story of Stuff http://www.storyofstuff.com will take you on a provocative tour of our consumer-driven culture — from resource extraction to iPod incineration — exposing the real costs of our use-it and lose-it approach to stuff.
Check out this teaser
At Spirit Garage we are taking a lenten journey through the theology of earthkeeping (see Earthkeepers Guide to the Universe). I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be an earth creature - a creation of God. In the Bible it says in Genesis 1:26-28 that we are created in the likeness and image of God with dominion over the creation. "Dominion in the likeness of God's dominion is being-for-others love." I read that in a textbook years ago and it is on my mind. How can we be-for-others in our practices of consumption, our economy, our lives, and our world. I look forward to hearing what you think about the story of stuff. Be earth keepers who care for and protect the only home we share with all life.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Cool! Lately, I've been taking into account how much of what I use gets thrown away. I've been working on making small changes. (My most recent change is disposable coffee cups...) I'm looking forward to what challenges/resources/discussion you have to bring to the table.

Cowgirl Jazz said...

I think there is some hope. A few months ago MOA had recycling days for those materials you can't just throw away, like computers, certain electronics, etc. There were so many people that showed up they couldn't serve them all. It's amazing that we have so much stuff to throw away and learning all the rules about what and where to throw it. Funny how the 50's dream of an easier life with technology has gotten so deceitfully complicated.

Cat said...

That is a great video. Have you heard of Shane Claiborne? he is co-founder of the simple way, http://www.thesimpleway.org, and wrote the book The Irresistible Revolution.
He makes his own clothes, converts diesel vans to run on vegetable oil and speaks on ways that consumerism has destroyed the third world. I highly recommend his book.